Pages

July 10, 2009

Crochet along...if you want to.

For weeks now I have been bemoaning the fact that I dont have a bag to take my projects to stitch 'n' bitch sessions with my friends. The other day a friend of mine showed up with a gorgeous felted bag that she'd made herself for that very purpose. It inspired me to make my very own stitch 'n' bitch project tote.

All I had to do was come up with a pattern I could use. Now I dont have any proper wool, I currently only have acrylic yarns...except for my super expensive stuff which Im SOOOOO not wasting on a bag, so felting was out. Then, yesterday, while organising my yarn stash I noticed that my remnants bag is full to over-flowing. It struck me, why not make a remnants granny square style bag. So I looked around Ravelry and found THIS! The perfect project for my tote.

I started the first square by following the pattern as shown on tthe PDF and instantly realised it was going to be too small for my needs. I need to fit heaps in my snb project tote; a) 2 x wips, b) phone, c) purse, d) keys, e) any other junk I decide that I need for that day...so I needed to upscale the squares quite a bit to make a bag large enough for all my crap by adjusting her pattern somewhat. Heres my version for anyone who wants a really big bag too;

Evil Stitch n Bitch WIP Tote Square

To start; with main colour (MC) ch 4 join with ss.
Round 1; ch 3, 2 tr, ch3, 3 tr, ch 3, 3 tr, ch 3, 3 tr, ch 3 join with ss.
Round 2; ch 3, 1 tr in each tr from prev row, 2 tr in corner space, ch3, rep to first tr, join with ss.
Continue in this fashion for total of 5 rounds.
Change to secondary colour (SC).
Round 6; ch2, 1dc in each tr from prev row, 2 dc in corner space, ch3, rep to first dc, join with ss and finish square.

I'm using whatever acrylic is in my remnants bag for my MC, but my SC is black. Im using black because I want to line my bag with some black fabric that I have here and it will make joining my squares easier if I can do it all in one colour. Also I'm planning on my bag being machine washable (in a pillow case of course) so the fabric lining will give it a sturdier finish.

So here is my first square.

Feel free to post pics and comments if you're going to crochet along with me, I'd love to see what other people are doing with this pattern. Alternatively, if you're a member, you can check it out on Ravelry to see what colour combinations other ravelers are coming up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment