Pages

July 18, 2009

Facebook goes too far!

I have to say I have had worries about facebooks privacy policies since they bought in their new principles but this just chafes my ass...AND reinforces EVERYTHING I said about what facebook would do regardless of their promises to keep peoples information private according to their settings.

Now I have no problem with facebook not accepting responsibility for stalkers and hackers and the like in their privacy policy. Fair enough. What I DO have a problem with is their apparent interpretation of 'use' of my 'content'. This is their 'user content' policy contained in their terms of use.

  1. For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos ("IP content"), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook ("IP License"). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account (except to the extent your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it).


I dont like this. I dont want them using my photos or any personally identifying information about me without my go ahead, ESPECIALLY since identity fraud is on the rise in Australia and worldwide. I even started a group on facebook trying to get people to NOT agree to this clause because I foresaw EXACTLY what has just happened.

Over the last few days I have noticed images of my friends being advertised at the bottom of quizzes and the like on facebook. With questions about their last name...this worries me. Now I dont care if only people on their friends list are seeing these things, what I want to know is; where do facebook get off using copyrighted images for their own fiscal gain WITHOUT express permission from the owner? I came across an article discussing it today and it made me mad.

Go ahead, read the article, I'll wait.

Now tell me, why wasn't I informed of this BEFORE they started plastering my photo everywhere to make money? Why do I have to opt out of this feature in order to preserve some privacy on the net? Isn't it illegal for facebook to go ahead and do this kind of thing without at least warning you first? Or asking you if you want to participate? I'm SERIOUSLY angry at facebook and am planning on deleting my profile all together. GRRRRRR at facebook and their so called privacy policies.

No comments:

Post a Comment