Pages

December 20, 2010

A cowl goes to sea

I know I promised ages ago that I would start putting some patterns up here for people to knit but I have been busy with other things.  But I have finally pulled my thumb out of my butt and written up a pattern that I'm going to give to you.  Absolutely free!  Cue excited squeeing here. 

Sea Foam Mobius (sort of) Cowl
By Evil McWeevil Handicrafts


The yarn..ooOOo
This mobius came about because I was trying to find the perfect pattern for some yarn that I had spun up with lovely ocean colours.  The yarn was a delicious blend of Merino, Angora (rabbit) and tencel that I received from Charly at Ixchelbunny called ‘twinkle bunny’.  Of all her blends, twinkle bunny is easily my favourite and rightly so as it spins and knits up so smooshily soft and luxurious. 

Finished size:  this is pretty flexible as it depends on how big you knit it. I stopped when mine was big enough for a cowl, but you might want to make yours longer.
Yarn:  my yarn is about equal to a commercial 4ply but you could easily use something else
Needle(s): I used a 5mm circ.
Notions: 2 stitch markers (M)
Gauge: I tried to make this fairly loose and lacy but that’s entirely up to you

Notes: The stitch is based on Seafoam pattern by Barbara Walker.
slip 1st stitch of every row purlways with yarn in front.
knit last stitch of every row tbl.

Using provisional cast on method, CO 46sts (or multiple of 10 + 6 for seafoam) + 8 for edging.

Setup row, K4, PM, knit to last 4sts, PM, K4

Before folding
1st row, Sl1, K1, K2tog, YO, SM, begin pattern with K6, *YO, K1, YO twice, K1, YO 3 times,
 K1, YO twice, K1, YO, K6*, repeat between ** to last marker (ending with k6), SM, YO, K2tog, K1, K1tbl.

2nd row, Knit to end, drop all yarnovers as you go except for first and last ones outside the stitch markers, which you should knit.

3rd row, Sl1, K1, K2tog, YO, SM, K to next marker, SM, YO, K2tog, K1, K1tbl.

4th row, knit to end slipping markers where appropriate.

5th row, Sl1, K1, K2tog, YO, SM, K1, *YO, K1, YO twice, K1, YO 3 times,  K1, YO twice, K1, YO, K6*, repeat between ** to next marker (ending with a K1), SM, YO, K2tog, K1, K1tbl.

The finished cowl
6th row, Knit to end, drop all yarn-overs as you go except for first and last ones, which you knit.

7th row, Sl1, K1, K2tog, YO, SM, K to next marker, SM, YO, K2tog, K1, K1tbl.

8th row, knit to end slipping markers where appropriate.

Continue with this pattern till piece is desired length and then, ending with a 7th row, take the bottom corner of your cast on end of the piece and fold it so that the bottom corner is now at the top and graft the two ends together.

Hey presto, you have yourself a mobius like thingo with a cute little eyelet edging. YAY!


© 2010 by Siobhan Colley of Soul Crafting by Shevi.. This pattern is for personal use only: no commercial uses are permitted.
Please do not sell this pattern or any items made as a result of using this pattern. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment